Saturday, June 1, 2013

Networked Workers and Their Impact on Organizations


            Technology has forever changed the way organizations conduct their business.  Many operations have become less time-consuming and more efficient because of technological innovations.  Some jobs have been replaced by technology and others have been invented because of it.  Networked workers have become a major presence in the workforce today.  Madden and Jones (2008) described networked workers as those that are able to stay connected due to technology in the workplace. 
            Networked workers bring various opportunities to organizations.  First, networked workers are more able to collaborate not only with their own immediate colleagues, but also with colleagues from all over the world.  Friedman (2007) explained that the Internet has now made it where individuals from all over the world have the opportunity to present ideas and share knowledge.  Organizations can truly look for the best employees with the correct knowledge base, from anywhere in the world.  Networked workers are better able to use various tools in their collaboration efforts.  These individuals are more likely to carry around cell phones and other devices allowing them to check their email regularly (Madden and Jones, 2008).
            I am an online instructor, and I own a smartphone, which allows me to be available with my students.  Students that take online courses are doing so because they need the flexibility granted to them in the online learning environment.  Unfortunately, their flexibility causes me to work outside of normal “business hours”.  I would consider this part of my job requirements, as I too benefit from some of the flexibility granted in teaching online courses.  Madden and Jones (2008) found that over half of networked workers check their work-related emails on weekends.  This number does not surprise me.  I feel that it is important to keep personal time separate from work time, but these lines are blurring everyday. 
            With teaching online courses, I am constantly collaborating with people from many different locations.  I am learning the importance of many powerful collaboration tools such as Google Docs, Evernote, and Dropbox.  Even though my colleagues live within an hour of each other, it is great to be able to complete activities at home and to share those with each other virtually.  A colleague and I are working on a symposium this summer that covers how to utilize Smartpen technology into the classroom.  As we continue our research, we discover even more technology that we can utilize in our presentation and beyond.  Since it is summer and we both live in a different community, we utilize Dropbox to share ideas and to collaborate virtually. 
            Freely available Internet presents workers with a powerful tool everyday.  Workers are able to access virtually any information necessary.  The research component of certain jobs has become an efficient process with the help of the Internet.  As a college instructor, I am on the Internet regularly.  I am constantly researching ideas for my next lesson or looking at new technology that I may be able to implement in my classroom.  Without the Internet, it would take me much longer to develop these ideas. 
            While the Internet has helped with research, it can also have a negative effect on productivity.  Many workers utilize the Internet for personal reasons throughout the workday.  Madden and Jones (2008) found that while at work, 22% of workers did some online shopping, 54% of workers with personal email accounts check their account during work, and 28% of workers said they exchanged text messages with their friends and family during the workday.  I will be honest, with two small children; I have sent many text messages throughout the workday.  Do you think that the ability to text message and to complete other personal activities online is based on the job an employee holds?  While some of the activities being conducted are at a personal level, is this a way for workers to create networks with individuals outside of the organization that may be beneficial for the organization in the end? 

Friedman, T. L. (2007).  The World is Flat.  New York: Picador. 

Madden, M., & Jones, S. (2008, September 24). Networked Workers. Retrieved from Pew Internet & American Life Project: pewinternet.org

10 comments:

  1. You raise an interesting point about text messages during the work day. With GPS on smart phones there are new many opportunities for tracking and monitoring. One such option is for parents to get a text when a child comes home from school. There are others related to home security / home monitoring. I believe there is even the capability to put an RFID on a pet collar and monitor the whereabouts of your dog or cat. I wonder if receiving such messages is a distraction or brings peace of mind that allows to be more relaxed and hence more productive at work.

    To some extent it is based on the job. For instance, if someone is driving a truck or a taxi, it may not be best for them to read or respond to a text message at that time. (AT&T has an It Can Wait Campaign regarding texting and driving). When I teach I don't look at any texts until a class break. In other jobs, does the few seconds it takes to read and respond to a text really take that much away from productivity ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a very good point! I do not even bring my phone to class with me, but I do check it when I get back to my office. My main purpose is to make sure that all is okay with my kids at daycare. I also teach online courses, so as soon as my traditional courses are complete, I tend to my email and other electronic work.

      I feel that if utilized correctly, text messages and other devices can be beneficial for all kinds of workers. On the other hand, there are those that abuse the technology and can carry on a texting conversation for hours. Do you feel there needs to be a policy related to these concerns, or should it be the boss' discretion to advise workers accordingly?

      Delete
    2. For the most part, I think it would show up in the employee's results and should be at the boss' discretion. From a policy perspective, it probably would be worthwhile to indicate limit use of text messaging during business hours is acceptable. I'm not sure we have a policy on text message, but we do have a policy on limited use of company email for personal matters.

      Delete
  2. I agree that technological innovations have improved operations and brought new efficiencies for organizations. With my current work in a post secondary organization, I cannot imagine how my staff and faculty would function without the Internet. With so much required ongoing research and the daily deluge of information being hyper connected is an absolute must. Providing good customer service and being connected to students through technology is also a plus. Although that can be draining if no schedule or boundaries have been developed. I think it can be a challenge to decipher which tools will be helpful and those that are mere time wasters. I suppose that is one of the powers of social media, where you can tap into the wisdom of the crowd to help inform and guide those decisions. As you mentioned, the collaboration tools such as Google Docs, Evernote, and Dropbox have become indispensible to daily operations, especially when used in work swarms. Your question about if it is beneficial for an organization if workers create networks with individuals outside of the organization is addressed in a good article called The New Employer-Employee Compact in the June 2013 Harvard Business Review. In short, the answer is yes, organizations should encourage employees to build networks and expertise outside the organization for the simple fact that while an organization does have talent; it is even better to tap into knowledge that exists outside of the organization (Hoffman, Casnocha, & Yeh, 2013).

    Works Cited

    Hoffman, R., Casnocha, B., & Yeh, C. (2013, June). Tours of Duty The New Employer-Employee Compact. (A. Ignatius, Ed.) Harvard Business Review , 91 (6), p. 51.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also cannot imagine what my work would be like without the Internet. I use it constantly throughout the day for various components of my lesson planning. I have recently joined Twitter to see if there is an educational component that can be utilized in my classroom. I utilize Facebook in my online courses to help students interact with each other and to create an informal community among them. I also enjoy networking with teachers from all over!
      Thank you for your added thoughts!

      Delete
  3. So, I came to a similar conclusion this week. Advancements in technology are causing us to become workaholics. People are working longer hours, more sporadic work schedules, and feel the need to be always on call. This is good for an employer that you are so devoted to work, but bad for you because you have no personal life left.

    If I get an email at 11PM at night, I often feel the need to answer it right away. Stever Robbins suggests that the solution to this problem is to set definitive boundaries. Set your phone so that it only checks your email 2-3 times per day. I have found is that, when a student emails me wanting answers right away, is it often because they have failed to plan their own time appropriately.

    I have also set weekday and weekend hours that my students may call me. Students know that, if they call during personal hours, I will hang up on them unless they are calling with a true emergency. This way there failure to plan their time does not become your emergency. Not to be rude, but with family is important too. As Steven Covey suggests, you have to prioritize what is important and put first things first. Students are important, but your life can’t revolve around them.

    My belief is that, if you set boundaries to protect your own personal life, you will be much happier and prevent yourself from getting to the point where you are burned out on your job. Sort of a Tortoise and the Hair approach to work … slow and steady will win the race every time.

    PS – If you haven’t read Shane’s blog on “Crackberries” this week, you should. It’s the funniest story of being too attached to a smart phone. And it goes along perfectly with what you said about smart phones causing you to work outside of business hours. (http://shaynehoran.wordpress.com/)


    References:

    1. Robbins, S. (2012) How to set boundaries at work. In Get-It-Done Guy. Retrieved from http://getitdone.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-set-boundaries-at-work.aspx
    2. Covey, S. R. (2004). Seven habits of highly effective people: Powerful lessons in personal change [Kindle DX Version]. Retrieved from Amazon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read the "Crackberry" blog, and it was great! One method I have utilized to maintain my personal boundary is by not giving out my cell phone number. Students have my office number, but I tell them constantly that email is the best method of communication. I receive their email immediately on my phone, so that gives me a little more control over when I correspond with students. If necessary, I can always call them back if it is a problem that needs to be discussed over the phone, but I appreciate having one little piece of privacy at home!

      Delete
    2. Ashley, that was my policy up until two years ago, when I began adding my smartphone number in my syllabus. And over two years, I can count on one had the number of calls and texts I have received...yet for these few instances, I was glad I was there for my students when they needed me.

      It is part of my evolving conception of what it means to work in an open, social and participatory world...and it is MY definition - not meant to suggest it is what YOU should do. :-)

      Delete
    3. My reasoning for giving out my cell phone is more of a time saving measure. From my experience, I prefer students to have my cell phone number and call me than to read their long rambling emails. Most questions can be answered in a 30 second phone call, but it may take me 5-10 minutes to read and respond to an email.

      I had the same concern when I started handing out my cell phone number, but I made sure to set boundaries on phone calls. My students know I prefer a text or phone call over an email, unless they can't reach me during normal "duty hours".

      Delete
    4. Britt and Edward,
      Thank you for the added comments on cell phone numbers. I agree that explanations may be much less time-consuming in a phone call instead of an email. In my personal interactions, I am much more likely to call a person instead of text them. I enjoy the personal connection and feel there is less chance of misunderstandings occur. In the past when I have given out my number, I have had students call at unreasonable hours, so I always hesitate to give out my number. I appreciate your added feedback on the topic! Each semester I end up weighing my decision!
      Ashley

      Delete