Friday, June 14, 2013

Future Technology and Leadership

-->
My mentor has given me great advice throughout my career.  She is constantly encouraging me to develop my skills and to stay current on the latest changes in technology and educational trends.   In order to stay current with technology, she encourages individuals to become presenters at conferences and seminars.  I have always pondered this advice, but have finally realized how much learning actually occurs while preparing for a major presentation.  I am helping to present at a symposium next week.  We will be teaching math teachers how to use a Smartpen in their classes.  While creating this presentation, I have gained an in-depth knowledge of this technology, but have also increased my awareness on other technologies available to me.  We are utilizing Dropbox to collaborate on the Symposium, a technology that I had not used previously.  Smartpens also have the capability to connect with many different programs, one of them being Evernote.  Wow!  I could not believe the complexity of this program.  I was amazed at the amount of information I learned just by researching for this presentation.  
For leaders, it is imperative to remain current on the latest technology trends.  In the field of education, technology is a critical component of various aspects of the school system.  Leaders must be aware of ways that technology can improve and enhance both the general operations of the school and classroom instruction.  It is important that leaders continually stay connected on trends in technology.  One method leaders should utilize is to create networks with other leaders in a similar field.  These networks provide a look at what other similar organizations are using, as well as methods to stay ahead of the competition.  Attendance at conferences and symposiums is a great way for leaders to become exposed to the latest technology advancements. 
As I reflect on my own technology experiences, I cannot help but look ahead at what changes will occur in technology.  I can clearly remember when smartphones were first released.  It was an exciting concept that would allow individuals to become connected through a device they always had with them.  Where will technology go from here?  Kevin Kelly (2011) explained that one of the major trends in technology would involve screening.  Basically, every surface has the potential to become a computer.   TV commercials, among other media outlets, have eluded to this concept.  I cannot imagine being more connected to my email and other communication than I already am with my smartphone.  Do I really want to be even more connected than I already am?  In the YouTube video, A Day Made of Glass, various surfaces are demonstrated.  One surface is the bathroom mirror, where the woman responds to a message from her boss.  Honestly, I do not want to be corresponding with people while I am brushing my teeth!  
Technology is constantly growing and changing, whether we like those changes or not.  As leaders, we must continue to wade through the many advancements in technology to determine what will be beneficial to our organization.  Many exciting changes are occurring, and it is important to stay current on these trends.  I am excited to see what technology will look like in the next ten years!

A Day Made of Glass, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qmwdbhsbVs&feature=youtu.be

Kevin Kelly, Senior Maverick, Wired
Web 2.0 Expo SF 2011
http://www.web2expo.com/webexsf2011/public/schedule/detail/19292

14 comments:

  1. Leaders must make a conscious decision to be informed about technology and take action whether that is through a network, mentor, or self directed learning. I have a friend in the IT business whom I consider my tech mentor and for the price of a burger and beer he tells me about the newest technologies and answers my questions on the newest apps, software, and hardware. I believe that networks are a smart idea. The challenge is to maintain cognitive diversity. I’m guilty of just working with people involved in rural health or health professions training. I have to be mindful to be open and involve other industries, so I do not have such a narrow perspective. Sometimes that is difficult, but my current position does help with that through my departments’ advisory committees.

    It is an interesting thought about how much connection do you really want. A mirror in the bathroom or bedroom could be for some intrusive, and what safeguards would be put in place to ensure privacy? I read an article on hackers being able to take control of cameras in smartphones and capture images almost undetected. That would make me nervous if all the rooms in a house had connectivity then perhaps more worries of unwanted invasion of privacy. Perhaps some spaces should be tech free or screen free zones.

    As a leader, it is our job to help determine the technology direction of our organizations. Addressing issues like technology costs, benefits, and trends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of somebody taking over my cellphone camera or computer camera is extremely frightening. Can you imagine being viewed every second that you are on your machine? I agree that it is imperative to have some spaces that are completely screen free zones. It is great being connected, as it can make our lives dramatically easier. The thought of Google Glass and screens everywhere is exciting, yet it comes with great responsibility. We need to find ways to utilize technology to our advantage without becoming completely consumed by it.

      Delete
  2. I agree with the need to stay current on technology as a leader to make sure the staff, organization, and community are plugged-in to technological opportunity. Their is an interconnectedness that must exist amongst the entire landscape of the current environment in which we operate. As an educator, what good is acknowledging, implementing, and reaping the benefits of a new technology if the people that would be impacted by it aren't provided access to those same technologies? There has to be a level of constant inclusion in order for synergies to exist. It is apparent that technologies will not wait for anyone. It is outpacing our current capacity to learn all of its power. In essence, it is thinking without our input. Technology is currently reading our habits, patterns, desires, wants, and needs. Technology is more connected to us than we are to it. How is that artificial intelligence has figured it out and yet we still struggle to master the importance of staying connected and engaged?

    I believe your mentor gave you excellent advice in encouraging you to participate in symposiums, conferences, and seminars. Yes, it gave you the opportunity to increase your technological capacity with the use of the Smartpen, but it also keeps you connected to the human condition to collaboratively learn from one another and not just rely on technology to do it for us.

    Great question by TRKOA by the way, how much connection do we really want?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley,

    That is great advice that your mentor provided. When we prepare to teach something to someone else, it really makes us learn the information (at least it should). It is pretty amazing the amount of information at our disposal and how interconnected we really are to others within and external to our specific industries.

    I agree that is critically important that leaders remain knowledgeable and current on emerging technologies. In addition to creating networks with others in our own fields, I think it is most advantageous to extend one’s network to industries and individuals that are seemingly unconnected. The level of information we can learn from diversified personal and professional networks can prove immensely valuable as we engage in problem solving activities. Understanding varied perspectives can help in creating and implementing innovative and sustainable solutions.

    Your question of “where does technology go from here” is an interesting one in which I am most curious of the future answers. I was amazed when I watched the video of Google Glass, and the A Day Made of Glass video. The technological advances that are upon us are amazing and probably scary for some. If used effectively, however, those advances can make our world a better place. I am an optimist so I won’t discuss the dark side of technology here, but I am excited for the future. I just hope the new stuff isn’t too hard to figure out :)

    ~ Disciple of Experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too look ahead optimistically. I do fear that new technologies will have some negative impact on our society, but we must collaborate to find ways to utilize technology in ways that will have a positive impact. We see the negative sides of technology daily. For example, I went to dinner with a friend and his family. His 12 year old daughter and her friend spent the entire meal texting and playing on their cell phones. How do we teach this next generation how to connect with the world outside of technology?

      Delete
    2. I wish I knew. That appears to be a challenge that we will all have to face. Technology is pervasive, but I think it is very important that we still teach people, especially the youth, the importance of interpersonal interactions.

      ~ Disciple of Experience

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. “I do not want to be corresponding with people while I am brushing my teeth!” I could not have said it better myself. After the revelation of the NSA’s PRISM program last week, it has become glaringly obvious that people have no anonymity or privacy left. And we’d have even less with the kind of connectivity that Corning and Google envision.

    I don’t want to be anymore connected to the internet than I already am either. However, the idea of Google glasses scares me more than having a computer screen everywhere. If for no other reason, I tend to do stupid stuff that I don’t want to re-live on YouTube. I feel violated just thinking about the possibility of people walking around with tiny cameras on their face ready to record my every move … or my bank account numbers while I’m standing in line at the grocery store.

    I like connecting with friends and family via the internet. I enjoy being able to work on my doctorate from 900 miles away from campus. And, I love being able to read a book or watch a movie instantly from my tablet. But, the idea of the internet being always on reminds me a little too much of The Matrix. It makes me want to disconnect, grow my own vegetables, and live off the grid. In the meantime, I think I will stay away from Google glasses and bathroom mirrors made by Corning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to come back in 10 years and see how disconnected you are....

      :-)

      Delete
    2. Edward, I am with you on the glasses and bathroom mirror! I am always amazed at how my Internet experience is tailored to my likes and Internet activity. I reflect on the many ways that Google is a part of my overall Internet experience, and frankly, it is a little scary. At the same time, would my experience be as enjoyable if it were not tailored to my unique needs?

      Delete
  6. Ashley, nice post. Perhaps DAY MADE OF GLASS 2 will not be so freaky - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkHpNnXLB0

    After your presentation on SmartPens, would love for you to share some of what you learned via this blog. Neat the interplay between SmartPen and Evernote.

    Do any of us want to be even more connected than now? Difficult question, but I suspect some of it is inevitable. I read yesterday that new cars will now have intelligent systems that will email us and our mechanics as issues arise. Amazon knows to send me updates on new murder mysteries...and cooking utensils. As magazines shift from paper to ebooks, the ads in those magazines can now be customized to my lifestyle. Target last year used its vast data to "target" pregnant women. http://onforb.es/xahmzo

    Many more examples...but you get my point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Watwood,
      Thank you for the second link! I would be glad to reflect on my SmartPen experience. I have really enjoyed the research I have conducted during the preparation for the symposium. My colleague and I are both excited by new technologies that can be utilized in the classroom. I was amazed by the many discoveries we made just by researching this one specific technology.
      Ashley

      Delete
  7. Ashley technology is a critical component in the field of education. It is a tool that is needed in order for colleges and universities to remain sustainable and viable. A prior institution I worked for was located in an area where a military base was housed. Many of the soldiers want to further their education. Our Vice-President at that time came up with the idea of offering a few degrees online as well as having a satellite campus on the base. We were able to establish a memorandum of understanding to offer classes on the base. Furthermore we were able to advertise our online degree programs to the soldiers. This provided a convenient platform for the military personnel to earn their degrees. This initiative was very successful. As higher education professionals our environments can be quite complex, due to serving many internal and external constituents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to know more about the Smartpen technology. As one who still uses pencil and paper for everything, this hybrid of writing and technology is something that really fascinates me. I wanted to know if your presentation would be available online?

    ReplyDelete