Thursday, May 9, 2013

Prezi in the Classroom and Beyond...


            I have been an educator for several years and am always looking for new ways to utilize technology in my classroom.  Retention of important math concepts and the development of problem solving skills are two of the most important teaching objectives that I hope to pass on to my students.  At the same time, I want to instill a love of learning on my students by utilizing teaching techniques that are exciting.  Various forms of technology today consume our students, including: smart phones, computers, gaming systems, etc.  It is important to find opportunities to motivate students to interact with each other by utilizing technology to make presentations and other classroom projects (Boles, 2011). 
            Technology is constantly changing, and my classroom seems to evolve with it.  During my own coursework in my graduate degree programs, I have utilized the program Prezi.  I am anxious to find ways to utilize Prezi in my own classroom as an instructional tool.  Through research, I have discovered many Prezi presentations related to teaching mathematic concepts.  Prezi also allows users to import PowerPoint slides in order to create a unique presentation.  The user can choose to utilize a pre-made presentation, or can build one from scratch. 
            Prezi is a cloud-based tool that allows individuals to create presentations or to tell stories using a virtual canvas (www.prezi.com).  When you access the website, you are able to click into other people’s presentation or search for specific topics of Prezis.  Prezi is a presentation tool, like PowerPoint, but it allows users to create pathways and to zoom in and out of a virtual canvas, giving a very dynamic presentation.  As the Prezi website explained, the presentation tool allows users to create a spatial metaphor, which helps the viewers remember the content better. 
I have the exciting opportunity to teach two online courses this upcoming semester for our new online degree program being implemented this fall.  I am a strong proponent of a collaborative, project-based classroom setting.  Prezi includes the option of Prezi Meeting, which allows up to ten different users to collaborate on a project at the same time.  When users are logged in, each user is given a unique avatar, allowing the group to work together and communicate in real time. Leticia B. Cavagnaro from Stanford University stated, “Prezi truly embodies what creativity is about: changing your perspective, connecting and combining ideas, thinking in non-linear ways, and creating in collaboration with others” (www.prezi.com).  Kennedy and Duffy (2004) explained that being able to work collaboratively in distance education is an important and necessary component of a successful distance-learning course. 
A major downside of Prezi is that it has a learning curve, and it can take new users some time to get used to mapping out the pathways.  Many users decide it is too time-consuming, and would rather create presentations using PowerPoint.  Similar to PowerPoint, it is very easy to “overdo” a Prezi.  With the various pathways and options to rotate the text and graphics, users run the risk of utilizing too many options, and thus distracting viewers from the message being presented.  
Overall, Prezi has the potential to be a valuable tool in the classroom and beyond.  A little guidance from the instructor would allow students an opportunity to collaboratively create dynamic presentations.  I am already analyzing how I can utilize Prezi in my upcoming online courses.

Boles, S. (2011). Using technology in the classroom. Science Scope, 34(9), 39-43.

Kennedy, D., & Duffy, T. (2004). Collaboration--a key principle in distance education. Open Learning, 19(2), 203-211.

Perron, B.E., & Stearns, A.G. (2011). A review of a presentation technology: Prezi. Research on Social Work Practice, 21(3), 376-377. DOI: 10.1177/1049731510390700

Prezi. (n.d.). Retrieved May 6, 2013 from: www.prezi.com

16 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    I agree with you that there is a learning curve when trying to navigate Prezi. I have attempted to use it a few times because it does engage the viewer more, its innovative, and it is more of an accessory to a presentation rather than a crutch like Powerpoint. Unfortunately, every time I've tried it, I get frustrated with the tools, lose valuable time, and wind up scrapping my Prezi for the "tried and true" Powerpoint.
    I did not know one can upload a Powerpoint into Prezi and it will reframe it into a Prezi presentation. Perhaps I will make myself try the tool again with a Powerpoint already in place. Do you think presenters should have an outline of their content in place before they use the tool? In my opinion, Powerpoint is more linear, therefore, one can write their "talk" while they design the presentation. This may not be as easy with Prezi.

    Vanadoo13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanadoo13
      I have found that it is very helpful to create an outline before developing a Prezi. Unfortunately, an outline causes the Prezi to be more time-consuming. When working with PowerPoint, I am better able to create the presentation as I go. When I am in a time-crunch, I find myself going back to PowerPoint. At times when I want to create a more dynamic presentation, I turn to Prezi.
      Ashley D.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ashley,
    Thanks for sharing the Prezi tool. How does the Prezi meeting component compare with Google docs? Can you upload a Prezi presentation to Google docs and allow people to work on it from that format? Otherwise, does everyone have to have a prezi account or the prezi tool installed to use the collaboration tool?

    Have you ever used Prezi in a situation that allowed the tool to evolve as a spatial metaphor for a series of conversations/blogs or questions happening in an on-class discussion? I am wondering if you were a visual learner, how mapping the discussion would enhance your engagement of the material?

    Thank for your insights about his interesting tool.
    Amy Novak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my office, we use Prezi for strategic planning and brainstorming. Someone starts the ball rolling with a draft and invites the rest of us to edit, and then we can all synchronously or asynchronously add in.

      Delete
    2. Amy,
      I am not sure if Prezi and Google Docs will work together. I will do some research on it, but since Prezi is an online program, everyone would just need to have the free account with Prezi to work collaboratively through the program.
      I have not used Prezi to show discussions, but I love the idea! I will have to attempt that in my future online courses. I am a visual learner, and appreciate any ideas as to how to present information in the format.
      Ashley

      Delete
  3. I've not used Prezi; however, I create and review power point presentation on a near daily basis. We often refer to them as view graph packages, indicating they could be developed with other software. I have a particular affinity for power point drawing tools over Vizio. Now I am curious about the drawing tools in Prezi.

    I found that the most challenging part of these packages is crafting the right story for the audience. My suspicion is that can be done in any tool, but perhaps, Prezi makes it easier if it is less linear than power point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is confession time. I draw in Powerpoint, then use SnagIt to snip the drawing as a jpg so that I can then insert it into my Prezi's. I can both draw and control fonts easier...which I did for this presentation:

      http://prezi.com/mvkkefy_cgjt/vcu-mba-presentation/

      (Cut, paste, and check it out...would love feedback, i.e., do I over do it!)

      :-)

      Delete
    2. Personally, I liked how you copied your slides into Prezi. You found a great way to utilize the best of both presentation tools. I find PowerPoint to be a more efficient program, so I like the idea of using the slides from PowerPoint and the animation and flow of Prezi.

      Delete
  4. I too have tried to use a Prezi and I have found it to be frustrating and difficult. However, many of my students do Prezi presentations and I am impressed with the professional style of the presentations.
    I did not know that power point slides could be downloaded into a Prezi. If I could figure out how to use this feature, it would help me with the presentation set-up.
    Did you find any suggestions to help a novice user like me gain a better understanding of how to use Prezi?

    I think this would be a tool I could use in my classroom. I particularly like the zoom feature which would help me to emphasize certain important elements and ideas to my students.

    Also, please excuse my ignorance of computer terms, but what is a 'cloud" in technology terminology?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many different tutorials available on the website: www.prezi.com
      I have actually utilized several of the videos to help me discover new aspects to the presentation tool. I am also anxious to try to download PowerPoint slides into Prezi to determine how easily the two can be combined. If I get a free moment, I will post some feedback on this feature!
      A cloud is basically a location, not on your own computer, that an individual can utilize to store data. Google Docs is a form of cloud storage because the files are saved with a third-party. Amazon also has a cloud drive available to its users.
      At our university, we have access to Sky Drive. We are able to save all of our data to this server, and can access the files anywhere that has Internet access. Prezi is considered a cloud because the presentations are saved on the website and can be accessed or shared anywhere.
      Ashley D.

      Delete
    2. Nice job, Ashley. Basically, someone named the internet "the cloud" and the name stuck! But it really means virtual storage as opposed to storage on your own computer or flashdrives.

      As for uploading powerpoints, next time you are in Prezi, start a new prezi, pick a template (or go with Blank), and then use the drop down menu for "Insert". If you pick PowerPoint, it will ask for the file, then create images of each slide and load them on a sidebar. You can then choose individual slides or the whole deck.

      Delete
    3. I am anxious to attempt a PowerPoint upload. I will try to accomplish that task today and post my results! Thanks for the information on how to do it.

      Delete
  5. I have used PowerPoint ad nauseam and utilized Keynote a few times, but I have yet to use Prezi. When I first witnessed a Prezi presentation last fall, I was wholeheartedly impressed. Prezi has taken presentations to a new level of sophistication and engagement. It felt like I was on a ride of some sort, and I agree that occasionally the message can be distorted by all of the animation.

    Perron and Stearns (2011) explain that Prezi, permits an online collaborative approach to developing presentations and holds remarkable potential in both research and education situations for sharing material and concepts in both research and educational situations. The feature I find the most interesting is the ability to collaborate in real time. I envision several scenarios of working with my staff located off campus. I will be curious to see how long it will take me to learn this new technology and I am excited to try Prezi at my next in-service.

    Works Cited

    Perron, B.E., & Stearns, A.G. (2011). A review of a presentation technology: Prezi. Research on Social Work Practice, 21(3), 376-377. DOI: 10.1177/1049731510390700

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to keep us posted on your progress with Prezi. Good luck exploring!!

      Delete
  6. I am powerpointed out. I can't count the number of times a presenter had totally lost me and the rest of the audience with too many words on their slides or by just reading the information on off the slide. It was refreshing to me to have the welcome lecture to this course given using Prezi. I like how it allows the presenter to be creative and capitalize on visual and auditory senses to share information. Although I think Prezi is a little difficult for 5th graders to use to create their own presentations, it does force them to think about the big idea and visual presence.

    I certainly agree with your point about the dangers of bad design made possible by all the options. Remember those posters or invitations created with 16 different fonts? Students seem to like to rotate images in ways that make me sick when they use Prezi. I think teaching the elements of effective visual communication, regardless of the tool, needs to be part of preparing students for the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane,
    You have nailed one of my biggest PowerPoint pet peeves! I get way too overwhelmed when people put too many words and graphics on the slides. Too many rotations in Prezi can have the same effect on me.
    Have you utilized Prezi with 5th graders? I wonder if they would catch on quicker than many of us. I am absolutely amazed at how fast my own small children are able to pick up new technology.
    Ashley D.

    ReplyDelete